- The Cross identifies us as a Christian community drawing our ethos and energies from Jesus Christ and his Gospel. Our Parton, St Mary MacKillop, took the religious name ‘Mary of the Cross’. The Cross is rendered in gold and is placed in the superior position above the stylised ‘M’ and twin peaks below.
- Behind the Cross is the symbol associated with the religious order founded by Mary MacKillop, The Sisters of St Joseph of the Sacred Heart.
- The ‘twin peaks’ reference important geographic landmarks surrounding the school site in the Mount Peter valley: Mount Peter itself which rises from a location 5km to the south; and in the near distance a little further south, the striking facade of Walsh’s Pyramid.
- The stylised gold ‘M’ capping the mountains motif clearly references MacKillop.
- The Southern Cross references our location and St Mary MacKillop as Australian and the work of her Sisters in both Australia and New Zealand – under the Southern Cross
- The swirling ‘journey’ motif with its energetic curves and ‘stones’ fills the lower portion of the design. It references the spiritual journey as a key motif of the Gospel and Catholic tradition. The Good News revealed in Jesus Christ finds its fullest expression in the Easter events and is carried to all places and in all times through the community of Jesus’ disciples. Journey through Country is a foundational experience in the spirituality of the first people and enduring owners of this land, the Gimuy Walubara Yidinji nation. The College site also adjoins Stoney Creek which sees tropical flows from the nearby mountains across the plain and out to the sea.
- The College motto wraps around the base of the logo.
Inspiring Hearts, Minds and Spirits
Our College motto, in the first instance, references the presence and work of the Holy Spirit. The Spirit of God has been active since the beginning of creation, forming and shaping all things according to the Divine will. The pinnacle of creation is humankind; women and men created in God’s own image and likeness.
God’s Holy Spirit has been ever present in human history, speaking God’s word of love and redemption in human hearts, minds and spirits. Through the power of the Holy Spirit, God’s Word became flesh in the person of Jesus Christ. Christ’s presence and mission endures in every place and age through the community of disciples, the Church.
MacKillop Catholic College shares in the Church’s mission to make real God’s love for all. The Spirit of God is active through our work in Catholic education in shaping hearts, minds and spirits. We do so in the belief and knowledge that our holistic education shapes and forms such that our students, their families and our staff evermore grow into the people God created us to become.
We draw inspiration and courage from the example of St Mary MacKillop. Her deep personal experience of God’s love and providence led her to reach out in service of young Australians who had little or no access to education. Her legacy is testament to the power of education to inspire hearts, minds and spirits.