In the spirit of the vision and mission of our College community, we are committed to be partners with parents and families in pursuing the wellbeing, learning and character development of our students. College policies and procedures are directed towards the supporting of these goals. The social norms of the school are fundamental in establishing the environment in which these goals are pursued. The College’s Uniform policy assists in creating a suitable educational environment at MacKillop.
The wearing of a school uniform is a tradition with a significant history in Australia generally, and within Catholic education in particular. It has a strong value as an outward symbol of the pursuit of a common purpose – Education. The wearers of a uniform are identified as members of a particular community; in our case as members of the MacKillop Catholic College community. The wearing of a common outfit promotes a shared sense of belonging and purpose.
Uniforms also promote equity in that individuals are not distinguished in terms of their economic or social status – all are valued for who they are rather than what they have. Besides obvious safety issues in some learning activities (e.g. HPE and sports), the wearing of jewellery is discouraged for similar reasons of equity.
College Uniform – Primary
The MacKillop Catholic College regular uniform is worn four (4) days each week. The regular primary uniform consists of the College Polo Shirt; Shorts or Skort and a Bucket Hat as shown below. Students also require a College Backpack and Library Satchel that are purchased from the College Uniform Shop. Polo shirts (Regular and House) are designed to be worn out, ie:
not tucked into shorts/skorts.
Additional items that are required but not available through the College Uniform Shop are:
- Socks: Navy Blue short crew style (i.e. folded above the ankle)
- Shoes: Black school shoe (sports style); velcro (or lace-up, once students can tie own shoelaces)
School Hat – primary
All students are required to wear their school hat throughout the year at break times and when participating in outdoor activities. The school hat should be worn to and from school. The College has a “Hat = Play” Policy during lunch breaks meaning if a student does not have their hat at school, they are required to be in an allocated shaded location as directed by a staff
The MacKillop Catholic College House Uniform is worn on each class’s dedicated Health and Physical Education day and for special events as announced from time to time. The House Uniform consists of the House Polo Shirt shown below, Shorts and College Bucket Hat as shown on the previous page, with Navy Blue short crew Socks and either Black School Shoes or Sport Shoes/Runners.
MCC Secondary Uniform
The MacKillop Uniform provides our students with a sense of identity and belonging. The uniform is a visual representation of the MacKillop Way, and should be worn with pride and respect, both inside and outside of the College grounds.
We expect that when wearing the uniform all students behave in a manner that is consistent with the values of the College and contributes positively to its image. We also expect that each item of the uniform is worn with respect and in the manner consistent with its design and function.
All students are required to wear the uniform to College events and are expected to show pride in themselves by meeting the requirements in relation to grooming and presentation.
- Shirt – Purple MacKillop shirt (worn tucked in)
- Shorts – Navy MacKillop tailored shorts
- Tie – MacKillop long tie (not compulsory but encouraged, especially for formal occasions)
- Belt – Black belt
- Trousers – Navy MacKillop trousers are optional in the winter months (Term 2 and 3)
- Shirt – Purple MacKillop blouse
- Skirt – Navy MacKillop Skirt
- Culottes – Navy MacKillop Culottes
- Shorts – Navy MacKillop tailored shorts
- Tie – Cross-over MacKillop tie
- Hosiery – Black or navy sheer tights may be worn in the winter months (Term 2 and 3)
- Hat – MacKillop hat (must be worn to & from school, between buildings and during morning tea and lunch)
- Footwear – Black leather lace up school shoes (Chunky, ‘Doc Martin’ type, deck-style, strap-styles or flat ballet style shoes, are not permitted)
- Socks – MacKillop navy socks
- Jacket – MacKillop navy jacket or cardigan for winter
- Bag – Navy bag with MacKillop crest
The sports uniform should be worn only at times when there is a practical lesson, such as HPE, Lunchtime sports or Dance, or when they are representing the College at sporting competitions.
Students may not wear sports uniform to and from school and may only change in PE or sport lessons or in the breaks unless otherwise notified.
- Shirt – MacKillop sports polo or MacKillop House polo
- Shorts – MacKillop sports shorts
- Hat – MacKillop sports hat
- Footwear – Sport shoes in predominantly black, white or
- navy (no skate shoes, Vans, etc)
Other requirements – all students, primary and secondary
- Hair is to be of suitable style that befits the school uniform.
- Hair must be kept off the face and long hair must be tied back and kept up off the collar.
- Hair should be kept clean, neat and tidy.
- Hair should not be dyed in colours that bring attention to the student (no bright colours and no dreadlocks).
- Hair accessories (ties, scrunchies, ribbons and clips) should be minimal and in keeping with the College colours (navy, purple and/or white). Oversized and ostentatious hair pieces such as ‘Jo Jo bows’ are not acceptable.
- Boys should be clean shaven
- Hairstyles, including undercuts, may employ nothing less than a number 2 comb
- One brown/black or silver/gold plain wristwatch
- One pair of small sleepers/studs plain gold or silver only, worn in lower ear lobe (no coloured earrings)
- One small signet style ring permissible
- If students choose to wear devotional jewellery, it is not to be visible.
- NO OTHER JEWELLERY IS PERMITTED
- No makeup is to be worn to school
- No coloured nail polish is to be worn (clear or French polish only)
- Fake tans, acrylic nails, and false eyelashes are not permitted
- In respect to those of other faiths, a navy head covering may be worn
- In respect to those of other faiths, opaque navy or black tights may be worn.
- The navy MacKillop crested backpack is compulsory. A plain navy draw string sports bag may be used for carrying the student’s sports uniform.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Students: All students are responsible for wearing the MacKillop Catholic College uniform correctly and with pride. Students should maintain an appropriate standard of grooming throughout the day. All students are to wear their school hat throughout the year at break times and when participating in outdoor activities.
- Parents/carers: All parents/carers are responsible for supporting the Uniform and Grooming Policy. Parents/carers are also responsible for the upkeep of their child/ren’s uniform and for the repair or replacement of items. Parents are advised to label all items of their child/ren’s school uniform including the school hat, to help with returning lost items to their owners.
- Staff: Staff members are responsible for maintaining the Uniform and Grooming Policy by monitoring the standard of dress and grooming. Staff members assist students to understand and follow the Uniform policy.